Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Books

Because of my kids and me being sick I've had a lot of time to sit around and read. I am not in a book club and have little knowledge about what people out there in book world are reading. I wanted to read something, wake up my brain! I've been stuck in "reading only photography stuff" land and I needed something that made me feel smarter or more intellectual, or something.
So what did I do?
I went to my local library's website and looked up what the book clubs there are reading. Hmmm..... Not really anything interesting.
Then I looked up what people had read and recommended. BINGO! I found several new books that I wanted to try, so I put them all on hold and decided to read them as they came in, because on some of them I was a few spots back in the hold position.
The first book I read made me cry and cry. It was called "The Widow's Season" It had a twist at the end I didn't see coming, but it was a very sad book about a woman who lost her husband, presumably to death but the body is never found, but then he comes back wanting to start over with her and have the relationship they missed out on. But you never know if he's real, in her head, or a ghost.
The second book I read was one there's been a lot of talking about because of the newly released movie from it, called The Lovely Bones. It was ok. It's a book about death too. Only this time the story is told by the girl that was murdered. I was disappointed in the ending of the book.
Today I picked up "It's Not That I'm Bitter". I'm hoping it's a lighter read than the last two. I'll let you know.

No comments: