Monday, November 10, 2008

I Love Primary

Yesterday was our Primary program and boy did our kids do an awesome job!
My Joshua has the tummy bug so had to miss out on it, but my girls did a really great job. I sure love these kids.
I love how Heavenly father has helped me to love even the most annoying of our kids in the Primary.



Proposition 8

I also just wanted to add to the conversations going around by members of the church about Proposition 8.

For those that are more inclined to search out higher, more intelligent studies on the issue, I offer this link.

This is a talk given by Professor Robert P. George who is McCormick Professor of Jurisprudence at Princeton University, where he lectures on constitutional interpretation, civil liberties and philosophy of law. This talk was given at BYU, however this man is not LDS, here is a link to a page about him http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_P._George . I feel that he gives a very compelling, intelligent argument about why gays should not be allowed to marry, along with more insight on other issues our society faces today.


One popular argument that some people are making in supporting gay marriage is, "It doesn't affect me, so why should I care?". One only needs to look at what is happening in the states that have allowed gays to marry to see how, yes indeed, it will affect them as well as the whole community. Professor George gives understanding into the answers to that question.

Two of the ensuing results that concern me the most is that, one, parent's rights are being quickly taken away in the name of "tolerance". See this story.

The second is that not only the LDS church, but Christian churches in general are under attack. Freedom of religion is under the microscope and none are free from the scrutiny or threats. In several areas in the world mandated homosexual adoptions have forced the Catholic church to pull out of adoption agencies, because of their refusal to place children in homes of homosexuals. This is a tragic loss for adoption agencies and the children who relied on the Catholic church to find good loving homes for them to be placed in. Furthermore, gay marriage activists are seeking to take away the rights of churches. They have already sued the Methodist Church for not performing a gay marriage on their own church property, and the gays WON!! As a result the Methodist Church lost their tax-exempt status in New Jersey. Story here.
And NOW they are attempting to strip the LDS church of it's tax exempt status as well. Proof here. Even though the church it's self did not put money into passing prop. 8.

And this is really important, please pay close attention to what I say:

Furthermore, some people are making claims that you can't be gay and be a member of the Church. Actually, this is incorrect.
Just as there are hetero-sexual people in the church, we all have our temptations, it's what we do with them that makes it a sin.
So although some members feel they are gay from birth, they can attend church and even the temple, so long as they are not acting on these attractions and keeping themselves worthy and clean just as hetero-sexual people are.
Please quit spreading false accusations against the Church.

Supporting Prop. 8 does NOT equal prejudice or hate, it protects traditional marriage, in the form it has always existed.

When it comes to the Church leaders I keep seeing members who are against prop 8 throwing around the words, "blind obedience". I'd like to point out that there is a difference between "blind obedience" (imo. is a term used as a scare tactic) and living by faith. It's not blind obedience when I pay my tithing, or when I don't drink or smoke... all things I struggle with, so why is it blind obedience when I faithfully take up the stance that my church leaders have encouraged?

Please take the time to listen to the speaker in the link I posted at the beginning.