Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Back in wrestling again

Josh started a new session of free-style wrestling last night. It's a bit different. You get points, it seems, from every little thing. You want to wrack up as many points as you can to win each time period, or get a pin. As much as I whine about the cost of it, and the time commitment, I really do love my kids being in sports and being active and having fun. So it's really not as bad as I make it sound.

Usually I end up sitting alone and nobody talks to me, but last night I was in an unusually chatty mood and chatted with a lady I sat down next to. She has 4 kids of her own and is a single mom who also takes care of 2 foster kids at this time. Two of her kids are grown, one lives on her own, the other has autism and lives with her. He is not able to make the right decisions and is an easy target for people, so she lets him live with her so she can help him. She is about to graduate from college, I can't remember the degree she's getting, but she's having a hard time finding work too. She keeps getting messages from places she's applied that they've picked someone with more experience than her. Joel has been dealing with that kind of rejection for a year now. It's so hard to get your foot in the door now days in careers with so many overly qualified people being laid off.

No comments: