Friday, March 7, 2008

Edd's Funeral

Today was Edd's funeral. It was amazing how many people were there from his family, work, church, stake. We filled the overflow and into the cultural hall. There wasn't anything said that didn't surprise me. Edd was a gentle, kind, good man who loved everyone around him, especially the youth of the church. He reminded me a lot of my own father, in his strong testimony, and his willingness to serve the Lord with all he had. He has touched so many lives and will be missed by all.

In the middle of the program a lady in our ward sang this song, I'll call it a hymn because it's in our hymn books at church. I don't know how she does it! I was touched so much by the spirit there that I wasn't able to sing the opening or closing hymn without crying. And she's pregnant! I was an emotional wreck when I was pregnant. But she did a beautiful job, and it was a moment that calmed our souls. I set my blog up to play the version done by Vocal Point, an a capella group from Brigham Young University.

I also set it up to play the other two hyms that the congregation sang for opening and closing hymns.

Enjoy.
Be Still My Soul

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know His voice
Who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
And all is darkened in the vale of tears,
Then shalt thou better know His love,
His heart,Who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears.
Be still, my soul: thy Jesus can repay
From His own fullness all He takes away.
Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord.
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past
All safe and blessèd we shall meet at last.

Be still, my soul: begin the song of praise
On earth, believing, to Thy Lord on high;
Acknowledge Him in all thy words and ways,
So shall He view thee with a well pleased eye.
Be still, my soul: the Sun of life divine
Through passing clouds shall but more brightly shine.

Words:
Katharina A von Schlegel
Translated:
Jane Borthwick
Music:
Jean Sibelius

2 comments:

Ginabear said...

I have a hard time getting through the hymns on Sunday let alone a funeral. It was good that you went. Funerals help remind me of the people I love and how blessed I am to have them in my life. Hope your eyes dont hurt too much! (((BIG HUGS)))

Ginabear said...

Oh boy, I just went and listened to the other songs...ummmm yah, I would have totally lost it. Trying not to do it now!! Great, awesome songs!!