Monday, May 3, 2010

Potato Bread

I have been trying for the last few years to find a tasty white bread that compares to the one I grew up on. Until this week, the only bread that has come close is Rhodes, and let's face it- Rhodes isn't exactly "home made". No matter how wonderful it is.
I gave it one last shot last week and guess what? Failure.
I finally caved and asked my mom for her recipe. I don't know why I didn't ask before, it wasn't that hard. She answered right away, thanks Mom!!!
So today I made my first two loaves of Potato Bread and I am oh so happy! It was just like I remembered it! It also happens to be the most easy dough I have ever made. It came out perfect! I put in the flour, left to help my daughter and was surprised when I came back to find my dough wrapped around the hook, the bowl wiped clean and the dough was soft and perfect!
If you'd like to make some of it yourself, here's the recipe.

Potato Water Bread (4 loaves or half everything for 2 loaves)

*My mom's note: Generally when I make this bread I start by peeling a potato, cutting it up and boiling it in about as much water as it takes to cover it and then I osterize it along with the water when it's done. (20 minutes) If you boil potatoes for dinner sometime you can just save the water from cooking, refrigerate it and use it when you are ready. I used my food processor to mash the potato with the water after boiling it.

3 cups potato water (or if you boil the potato like above just add water to the 3 cup level)
1 cup milk
4 Tbs sugar
5 tsp salt
2 pkg yeast (or 2 Tbs)
1/2 cup lukewarm water
4 T Crisco shortening (my mother used to use Lard)
12 cups white flour (approximately. you may want to start with 11 cups and add the last one if needed.)

Combine lukewarm water and yeast and set aside to dissolve and start working. Melt crisco in hot potato water if desired and add all other ingredients together except flour. Stir together and then start adding flour and knead. I have a bread hook so I just dump it all in the mixing bowl and turn it on for about 5 minutes. Let rise 1 hour and divide into 4 loaves. Let rise again about 45 minutes. Bake 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes. Brush tops of loaves with butter after you remove from oven.


My loaves after rising, before baking.

No comments: