Monday, January 28, 2008

I'm probably the last


of my friends to make a post on my blog about the passing of President Hinckley. I too want to share my feelings about him.


I loved this dear sweet man.


He was the Prophet when I became active in the church again, and when my husband was baptized into the church. We were fortunate at that time that we had a temple being built here in Minnesota. When it came time for the dedication our bishop chose all of the newly baptized members who held current temple recommends to be the recipients of our ward's tickets to the dedication of the temple.


We were so excited and felt so genuinely blessed because we were one of the recipients. Our tickets were for the Celestial Room.


I still remember so much of that day. It's burned into my memory for ever, I know.

I still remember the feelings I felt when I laid my very own eyes on a Prophet of God when he came into the room. My husband and I were sitting only a few rows from the front. It's a very small room. I could feel the holy spirit testify to me that this indeed was a man called of God to lead His people, that the purpose of the temple was holy and of infinite importance to the souls of all of God's children. My life was never the same after that experience. My testimony has never wavered since that moment, and it never will again.


I think of that experience every time I attend the temple. ( I also stop and look into the room that my husband and I were sealed to each other and to our son Jacob in. I'm so lucky it's on the women's side of the temple! I stop and ponder there each time, remembering how I had felt, remembering all of the wonderful people in our lives that had helped us get to that point. Those who were there to support us).... oh, here I go rambling again.


I loved hearing President Hinckley talk at conference. I don't think there was any time that he talked that he didn't express love for the Savior, for his Father in Heaven, or for the people who were listening. You could see the love, gentleness, meekness, humbleness radiate from his countenance. He truly exemplified the love of our Savior for us. How blessed I feel to have been able to hear the words of this Prophet.


I was just talking to a friend today at the library, she's a member too, and we were discussing how wonderful it is to know that the next man will also be called by God. That he will be divinely ordained. That we don't have to question votes, or motives of any of the men in the Apostleship. The Gospel of Jesus Christ truly has been restored.


I will miss the clever witt of President Hinckley. His mind was as sharp as a tack. He was good natured and none of his humor was off-colored or questionable, but he certainly did add joy and humor to our lives. Always positive and optimistic.

I have a quote on my fridge that has been there for a couple of years, and I read it at least weekly if not daily. It gives me strength. It reads...


"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith, and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers." - Gordon B. Hinckley


God be with you, 'till we meet again.
ETA: Funeral services will be held on Saturday February 2, 2008 at 11 am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your feelings about President Hinkley. He was such a strong influence for good in my life, also. I always felt uplifted and encouraged by what he said.

I like that quote. I think I'll put it on my fridge, also!

Unknown said...

awh jen,
completely beautiful post. i am touched. i wrote one, too, today, but yours is MORE awesome :)

i love the same quote and have it plastered in my scrapbook.

you are really awesome, i hope you know that, kathleen