Friday, January 11, 2008

You make the world a better place

"You don't have the power to make rainbows or waterfalls, sunsets or roses, but you do have the power to bless people by your words and smiles... You carry within you the power to make the world better..."--Sharon G. Larsen, "Standing with God," Ensign, May 2000, 88

The other night at Enrichment we had a lady, our Preparedness Coordinator, give a short lesson. The quote she put on the chalk board said, "You may only be one person to the world, but you may be the whole world to one person." I thought about that statement for a while, and wondered if there was anyone I would be the whole world to. I think the obvious answer is my children, especially when they are little. It feels good to be that needed and loved. It also feels good to know that I have that much influence over my world and over future generations.

At this time in my life, nothing is more important to me than being Mom. Quite often I think of this quote by Sheri Dew :

It’s no wonder that Satan has declared war on motherhood. He knows that those who rock the cradle can rock his earthly empire. And he knows that without righteous mothers loving and leading the next generation, the kingdom of God will fail. When we understand the magnitude of motherhood, it becomes clear why prophets have been so protective of woman’s most sacred role. (Sept 2001 General Relief Society Meeting)

Man! That gives me goosebumps every time I read/think about it. How amazing is that!? How empowered I feel when I read it. How noble I feel when I acknowledge it. How amazingly righteous I feel when I resolve to do my best at it! We women don't have to climb corporate ladders, be senators or presidents, or leap small buildings with a single bound to feel/be empowered. We just have to be mothers and try to be good ones. We don't have to be perfect. We all make mistakes. My oldest has turned into an amazingly wonderful kid, strong in the church, strong in his convictions, he has a testimony that burns bright. But I'm sure he will have plenty of couch time with a therapist to undo my mistakes, lol. I wasn't an amazing mom with him, I just tried to do what was right and lead by example. I hope it works out that way for the rest of my kids too.

So today I just want to encourage you mothers to go out and be the whole world for somebody. :)

2 comments:

Ginabear said...

Well Jen, you definitely rock my world!!! You are an awesome mom! I look up to you so much in this area!I know that HF is sooo proud of you for you efforts. You are such a good example not only to your family but to your friends as well, especially me. Thank you for that! And thank you for these amazing quotes!

Jen said...

Awww thanks! And I'm so glad you don't listen to me when I yell at my kids that I'm gonna beat them ;)