Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Groovin!

Man I'm just loving my playlist! I wish that the people hosting the music would stop making my list smaller and smaller.



Saturday I got a call from my neighbor Marge. She's a single, elderly lady that lives alone in the trailer next door. We've been pretty good about taking care of her needs as far as yardwork and plowing go. Anyway, she was calling because a niece of hers was on her way up to our city to drop her kids off for a while and go out for the evening with her husband and she wanted to bring Marge a bag of starter stuff for Amish Friendship Bread. Marge doesn't cook/bake so she was asking if I'd be interested in taking it.

I've heard it's really a long process, but I've also heard that it's really good, and if you do it right you'll be baking a loaf every 10 days. If you've ever made it, please leave me a comment on any tips for it, or how you liked it!

Now I have to think of 3 people to give it to and make sure I get it to them.



Okay, I am really late posting this.
My oldest son turned 15 on the 2nd. He's a groundhog baby :)
I can't believe he's that old! Where did my little boy go? I can't believe I'm old enough to have a 15 year old. Thank heaven's I have a 3 year old to make me feel younger! ha!
Jacob has been such a blessing in my life. He came at a time in my life where I was really out of control and not knowing how my life should be, and I wasn't living right. I needed an anchor, a direction and he came just in time.
Life hasn't been easy for either of us. I haven't been a perfect mom, and I've made a lot of mistakes with him. Thankfully he's resiliant and forgiving. I think no matter how many kids you have, they are all so different, you will end up making mistakes anyway. What's good for one, isn't necessarily good for another.
When he was really little he had very blonde hair and golden curls at the ends. His first haircut took care of that! He's always been a fun playful kid. He started in American Karate at the age of 3 or 4, I can't remember. By the time he was 8 he was an advanced Red Belt. He kind of gave up on it when his little brother was born and I wasn't regularly taking him. His next belt would have been a brown belt.
He was seven years old when his dad was baptized into the church, and he was eight when his dad baptized him and we were sealed as a family in the St. Paul temple. Those years he didn't go to primary didn't seem to harm his ability to understand the gospel. He has a strong testimony of his own, thanks to his own studying and experiences. He's going to be a great Stake President someday ;)
I'm convinced he is a very old, wise soul. He "gets it". He gets religion. He gets politics. He gets people. He has such a great head on his shoulders. He's responsible. He's reliable (unless you want the kitchen floor swept every night).
I couldn't have asked for a better first kid. He's made life so much fun and so worth sticking around for. I hope he liked his birthday. Our original plans were to go to Joe's Crab Shack, but they had closed business, so his second choice was Outback Steak House. We had a great dinner other than a few mishaps like Joel getting a drink dumped into his salad and Joyanna all over the place like a wild monkey! She was horrible.
We had family over for a Dairy Queen cake, I took pictures, but haven't emptied my card yet. He made out like a bandit with money and gift cards! Lucky duck. Sunday he had his yearly interview with our bishop and he asked for his first dance card... ahhhhh! I'm not ready for my kid to go to dances yet! However, I would rather he go to church dances than school dances.
Heaven help me next year when he turns 16. *chews on nails*
And my spell check doesn't seem to be working today.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Happy birthday to Jacob! And you're right, you don't seem old enough to have a 15 year old. :D But from what you've said, he's a great kid!

I love friendship bread and make it at least once or twice a month. I have some in my freezer right now.

I have four tips for you. First, you don't need to get a starter bag from someone else, you can start your own by mixing 1 cup water, 1 cup milk, and 1 cup sugar in a Ziploc bag.

Second, you don't have to give any of your bags away (at the end of the 10 days) if you don't want to. You can actually just double the recipe's ingredients and keep all the yummy goodness for yourself.

Third, the reason you wait it out is because that's how the yeasty stuff comes about. It begins to smell nasty, but that's a good sign, not a bad one.

Fourth, when you check to make sure the bread is cooked, and pull out a knife out of the middle, even if it's clean, your bread still may not be done.

Although it's not the healthiest of breads, it's absolutely delicious. I hope you enjoy it!

Michelle said...

Oh, I should mention that this is all from my recipe. I don't know if there are different kinds, so I wanted to mention it.

Ginabear said...

You have such a good young man there! I give you all the credit though! Even through tough times, you are still a good mom and you should be proud of yourself for raising such a smart and respectful young man! As far as the bread goes....ummmm, I think I made some about 20 yrs ago. Dont remember much about it;)

Unknown said...

good morning jen,

happy bday to your boy. sweet post about him. and thanks for sharing what was going on in your life while he was little. very touching.

we're heading out of town this morning for the next few days but i am still reachable so send me any notes/emails you want. no chat ability while gone though.

great day darlin,
kathleen xoxo